Sunday, April 7, 2013

Math & Science Are Inextricably Linked???... Or Are They?



Maybe you have been led to believe what I've been led to believe, namely, "that math & science are inextricably linked. That is, if you want to be good at science, you'll need to be good at math.

Hmmmm...Well, not according to Harvard professor emeritus Dr. E.O. Wilson. In his article, "Great Scientist ≠ Good at Math", Wilson writes:

"For many young people who aspire to be scientists, the great bugbear is mathematics. Without advanced math, how can you do serious work in the sciences? Well, I have a professional secret to share: Many of the most successful scientists in the world today are mathematically no more than semiliterate.

During my decades of teaching biology at Harvard, I watched sadly as bright undergraduates turned away from the possibility of a scientific career, fearing that, without strong math skills they would fail. This mistaken assumption has deprived science of an immeasurable amount of sorely needed talent. It has created a hemorrhage of brain power we need to stanch."

Wilson continues, "I speak as an authority on the subject because I myself am an extreme case. Having spent my precollege years in relatively poor Southern schools, I didn't take algebra until my freshman year at the University of Alabama. I finally got around to Calculus as a 32 year old tenured professor at Harvard, where I sat uncomfortably in classes with undergraduate students only a bit more than half my age. A couple of them were students in a course on evolutionary biology I was teaching. I swallowed my pride and learned calculus."

Wilson shares that Charles Darwin himself had little or no mathematical ability. When Wilson needs math for his science work, he collaborates with mathematicians.

Wilson's advice to aspiring young scientists?... "A key first step is to find a subject that interests them deeply and focus on it"

And that's a pretty good summary of the strengths message!

No comments:

Post a Comment